HISTORY OF COWRA
The traditional custodians of the Cowra area are the Wiradjuri people who have been united by a common language, strong ties of kinship and survived as skilled
hunter–fisher–gatherers in family groups or clans scattered throughout central New South Wales.
The first European explorer to the area, George William Evans, entered the Lachlan Valley in 1815.
He named the area the Oxley Plains after his superior the surveyor-general, John Oxley.
The township of "Coura Rocks" had its beginnings in 1844. Around 1847, the township site became known as Cowra, and in 1849, was proclaimed a village
Cowra lies in the Central Slopes of New South Wales, just over 300km drive west of Sydney, through the Blue Mountains.
The Cowra area covers approximately 2,800 sq.km, and population is around 14,000.
The landscape varies from flat countryside, gentle rises and rugged wilderness interspersed with large boulders and hardy trees.
The Lachlan River flows from the Wyangala Dam, through Cowra and the NSW towns of Breadalbane, Reids Flat,
Wyangala, Gooloogong, Forbes, Euabalong, Condobolin, Lake Cargelligo, Hillston, Booligal, and Oxley.
Things to see and do in Cowra, include visiting the Cowra Japanese Gardens, the Cowra Prisoner of War Camp and the Japanese War Cemetery.
Hosting Australia's World Peace Bell, and Art Galleries and Museums, and the wonderful Wyangala Dam, the region is full of beautiful,
historical townships, buildings and horizons.
Local villages such as Darbys Falls, Billimari, Morongla, Gooloogong, Wattamondara, Noonbinna, Wyangala and Woodstock provide
places to roam and stumble upon little out of the way nooks in our beautiful country.
Produce abounds with wineries such as Rosnay Organic Wines in Canowindra,
the National Cherry Festival in Young every December, and many other farms, farmstays and exciting secrets to be discovered.
The Oxley Wine Bar, Cowra is proud to stock local produce and wines, and aims to offer more in the future from our wonderful region.